Source: “Trans woman ends her life in Istanbul: I couldn’t, they didn’t let me”, kaosGL.org, 5 January 2015, http://kaosgl.org/page.php?id=18392
A trans woman named Eylül Cansın committed suicide in Istanbul by jumping off the Bosphorus Bridge the night before.
Born in 1992, Eylül Cansın ended her life by jumping off the Bosphorus Bridge on Saturday night. Cansın left a video as a suicide note, saying “many people were my friends but they turned out not to be my friends. I couldn’t do it anymore, that’s what I’ve learned. I’m doing the thing everyone wants [me to do].”
“I couldn’t because people did not let me”
“I was born in 1992. Now I must be 24 and I’m ending my 24 years. Kisses to everyone. I couldn’t. I couldn’t because people did not let me. I couldn’t work, I wanted to do stuff, I couldn’t… You get me? They impeded with me many times; they made me suffer a lot. I leave everyone alone with God and now I’m going to the Bosphorus Bridge. Kisses to all, God bless you.”
Cansın wanted her mother to take care of her little dog at her place, resulting in a huge despair in social media by her words: “Whenever you look at it, remember only me and don’t give it to anyone else. When you see it, say ‘this is my child’. Don’t get angry at it.”
Suicide of LGBT people is a social issue
In July, a trans boy named Okyanus Efe Ozyavuz in Izmir; in August a trans activist named Figen in Mersin and in November an Iranian gay refugee in Denizli ended their lives. Experts underline that discrimination causes serious mental health problems.
Having suicidal thoughts? Please, please stop long enough to read this. It will only take about five minutes: http://www.metanoia.org/suicide/
To the best of our knowledge, the online and IRL resources below will provide you with a safe and non-judgmental space.
Table of Contents
IRC / Chatlines
- The Trevor Project Chatline, available 7 days a week (3pm-9pm ET / 12pm-6pm PT).
- Freenode.net chatroom/channels: #transspace
- National Suicide Prevention Chatline, 24/7.
- GLBT National Chatline, available 6 days a week (monday-friday 1pm-9pm PT / 4pm-midnight ET; saturday 9am-2pm PT / noon-5pm ET).
- Lifeline Crisis Chat, available 7 days a week (2pm-2am ET).
- RAINN’s National Sexual Assault Online Hotline, 24/7.
Communities / Forums / Safe Spaces
- FAQs about crisis hotlines – via Reddit
- The Trevor Project, USA, 24/7: 1-866-488-7386
- Trans Lifeline, Canada: 1-877-330-6366; USA: 1-877-565-8860 (schedule)
- List / index of crisis centers around the world: via Reddit; via International Association for Suicide Prevention; via Befrienders Worldwide
- The Trevor Project, USA, Fridays (4:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. ET / 1:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. PT): Text the word “Trevor” to 1-202-304-1200. Standard text messaging rates apply.